Tuesday, November 16, 2010

pic of the day - low key


"Low Key" - I learned today that is the theme of the next Owensboro Photography Club's monthly photo contest. Low key refers to a lighting style of set up that features only your subject and minimizes everything else in the frame. In the photography and cinematography world, low key lighting creates and enhances drama. Funny, low key to me means simple with no drama, and that is just how I like it. I've done drama and prefer to keep it to a minimum in my world. Low key lighting requires a bit of staging and set up with just the right lighting source and just the right background. For me, it evidently just requires a bit of luck. As I sat thoroughly enjoying my low key Sunday morning, I noticed how pretty the flower arrangement on my coffee table looked with the glowing warm sunshine lighting it up. That's all it takes for me to scoop up the camera that is never far away and lucky I was. What I captured was so pleasing to me. I was able to portray all the warmth of the season and the sun in a photograph. While the photo demonstrates low key lighting, to me it is symbollic of a happy, drama free, low key, joyful life.

2 comments:

  1. love this more and more each time I read it....of course, one of the reasons I've read it so much is because I'm stalking your blog for the next post! ;)

    ReplyDelete